Close collaboration between Health Care Professionals (HCPs) and the pharmaceutical industry is a regular practice that allows drug developers’ access to the knowledge necessary to create lifesaving medicines. In turn, the HCP community has both the opportunity to influence options available to patients, and obtain knowledge regarding the latest care and treatment. Be it through clinical research, advisory boards, medical education programs, or collaboration on lifesaving medicines – sharing knowledge to improve the lives of patients is the cornerstone of all interactions.
Types of Payments
Aegerion may choose to remunerate Health Care Providers by differing means, depending on the services provided, and the entity providing those services. Types of payments may include any of the following:
- Cash or cash equivalent
- In-kind items or services
- Stock, stock options, ownership interests, dividends, profits, or other return on investments
- Any other form of payment or other transfer of value
Payments may be made for a variety of services, which CMS categorizes as the Nature of Payments. Aegerion has reported transfers of value for the following reasons (grouped by CMS-defined Natures):
- Charitable Contributions
- Compensation for services other than consulting, including serving as faculty or as a speaker at a venue other than a continuing education program
- Compensation for serving as faculty or as a speaker for a non-accredited and noncertified continuing education program
- Consulting Fees
- Current or Prospective Ownership or Investment Interests
- Food and Beverage
- Space Rental or Facility Fees
- Travel & Lodging
Use of the CMS Open Payments Database
The Open Payments Data website can be accessed via the links within this section or directly at (https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/). Users are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the CMS-provided system documentation, such as The Open Payments User Guide, or Using The Open Payments Search Tool: A Quick Guide. Users may obtain and query the full dataset, or use the online Search Tool (https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/search/) to view reported payments made to Covered Recipients.
Open Payments has provided the following instructions to assist users in searching the data:
- For physician data, search from the home page:
- Enter a First Name and/or Last Name in the search boxes, and click Search.
- When the results screen appears, click on the Physician Name link you wish to review.
- A profile screen will display summary level information, as well as specifics by payment type and year.
- Use the Search Tool to search by additional criteria.
- For teaching hospital or company data, use the Search Tool:
- Choose the appropriate option for a Teaching Hospital or Company
- Enter information in the search boxes (Hospital/Company name, city, state, zip/postal code) and click Search.
- On the results screen, click on the link for the one you would like to review.
- A profile screen will display summary level information, as well as specifics by payment type
THE OPEN PAYMENTS DATA AND SYSTEM ARE NOT OWNED, MAINTAINED, CONTROLLED, OR OTHERWISE ASSOCIATED, IN ANY WAY, WITH AEGERION PHARMACEUTICALS OR NOVELION THERAPEUTICS, ITS EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS. AEGERION ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY RESULT FROM THE USE OF THE OPEN PAYMENTS DATA WEBSITE, AND / OR DATA CONTAINED THEREIN.
Additional US Transparency & Disclosure Reporting
State mandated disclosure requirements that are substantively similar or identical to those required by Open Payments are preempted. Aegerion complies with all state requirements in which it conducts business.
Section 6004 of the PPACA, Prescription Drug Sample Transparency, further amended the Social Security Act by adding section 1128H, Reporting Of Information Relating To Drug Samples, to Title XI. This sets forth the requirements and process for the disclosure of information pertaining to drug and product samples to the FDA, and entered effect on April 01, 2012. Aegerion complies with all requirements under 1128H.
Pursuant to the Corporate Integrity Agreement implemented as part of Aegerion’s 2017 settlement with the United States and applicable states, a complete listing and description of grant support can be found here.
Please direct any questions to ComplianceOffice@Aegerion.com